Monday 21 June 2010

Ulli sambar (shallot sambar)

What's up peeps? Hows everyone doing? Long time right? Well i have just been unusually busy and I still am, but thought id just drop in and say hola to all my fellow bloggers.
I have a friend from Chennai days, staying with me for 10 days and we have just been travelling all over...did the usual London touristy thing last week, was at Dover on Sunday, heading to Windsor tomorrow and to Oxford on Wednesday and squeezing loads of gossip and shopping in between. Ro is going mad with all the giggling and the loud laughs that wake him up in the middle of the night, but I'm totally loving it. Last week Reena of Coconut Raita announced I'd won tickets to the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham and so me and Swar of Swar's Kitchen headed for a day filled with food and fun. I shall do a post on that later, when I have the time, but for now, here's the recipe for a shallot sambar which I followed from Jugalbandi's blog. I saw the tiny shallots peeled and cleaned at the Thai store and enthusiastically picked it up to make some fancy mallu dish, but Ro beat me to it and decided he wanted Ulli sambar instead. My idli's always turned out hard and we had almost given up on making them when my mom in law suggested I add about 1/2 tsp soda powder to one packet (yes I buy the ready made dosa batter) and there, I had the most softest, fluffiest idli's ever. Thanks Mamma. That was an awesome trick.
I followed the recipe to the dot, except that I used 1 1/2 tsp of coriander powder instead of coriander seeds and 1/4 tsp tamarind paste and diluted it in 1/4 cup warm water. I also used 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder, instead of the seeds.
It was pretty different from the usual sambar I've had and i am sure I'll make it again.

Sending this to Priya's Healing Foods Event, where this months choice is Onion.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks lovely dear :)

divya said...

looks yummy....

Suji said...

Wow, Kidu sambhar. We love it with idli best combo Nisha..Amazing ..

love
Kairali sisters

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! Ulli sambhar is looking so good, the idli's look soft too.

Nitha said...

That was a good tip for the soft idlys...

Prerna said...

Oh wow! That looks divine.

PJ said...

delicious sambhar and idlis! yes, the trick of soda has always worked for me too. btw, congrats on winning the show tickets..

abraham said...

ur ulli sambar looks tempting and gorgeous idli next to it....

Priya Suresh said...

With idli and this sambar i can have two or three more idlies definitely, wat a droolworthy sambar, thanks a ton for sending to HF..

Afsal_ Alif said...

The Pic: of the Idly and Sambaar is making me maaad.......!

Vineetha Sush said...

This was my bfast today..same combi,bu also made a chutney. Sunday is my grinding day..I make wholesle batters for doas,idly and appam and keep in fridge :)

Shabs.. said...

sambar is one thing that i still suck at....use ready made made powder too....i have to give ullu sambar a go....i just saw it another of my collegues blog...

Vrinda said...

Sambar looks soo yummmmm,that too with shallots,my all time fav

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Enjoy your time with ur buddy. Lovely onion sambhar. A pain to peel it but tastes divine. Lovely header picture!

Unknown said...

WOW! Love ulli sambar..Am drooling over that picture. Wonderful tip from your MIL, will try adding soda next time for softer idlis..

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious sambar with idlis..great combo.

Padmajha said...

Very tempting Sambar

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

hi new to your page and am in awe seeing these gorgeous pictures. just bookmarked some recipes (the deep fried twirled sweet dish seemed heavenly). love this sambar too. its been ages that I made some at home but eat a lot as here in tis part we get them easily in the shops. you are great at food presentation and photography. amazing work girl.

the blogger formerly known as sansmerci said...

never thought i wud say this but mr eally missin idlis here! and ur pic is so dam tempting with hte sambar..:) and yea pls do a write up on the bbc food show :D

Afsal_ Alif said...

Shallots are something that multiplies the tastes of Sausages.....Gud 'xprmntation with Shallots...They(Shllts)may be feeling proud of youu.....!!

Sarah Naveen said...

I had the same last week :)..looks so yummy dear...
and those idlis looks so perfect and spongy..

Afsal_ Alif said...

Plz Check out my nw 'xprmntion-'The Felooda Fantazy'- And Kindly comment on it plzz...... Thnx...!

Yasmeen said...

Love the oniony flavors in the sambhar :D

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Question for ya- is sambar close to daal? What is the difference? I mean, I grew up eating daal but sambar is relatively new to me. But all the recipes I've seen have daal in 'em. What gives? Teach me, oh wise one :)

Shah cooks said...

ulli sambhar is the only sambhar i used to make.. then my kid decided to love sambhar with all the veggies in it so now i have to make the mixed veggie Kerala sambhar. But i will take this any day!!

Fathima said...

Perfect Idlis and Sambar... feel like grabbing it out of ur blog!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow thats comforting meal idli and sambar.. both looks super delicious..

Afsal_ Alif said...

Thaanx a lott...for ur Comment......!!

Sonia said...

Thanks for stopping by at my blog. You've a nice blog with good recipes. I didn't know it calls ulli sambhar what I make the same way except I add sliced onions and MTR sambhar pwd. Your idlis and sambhar looks so mouthwatering. :)

Satya said...

first time to your blog ... you have a nice collection and your writing too ... sambar looks yummy and the pictures on your make it more tempting...

if you get time do visit my blog
http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.com/

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

looks lovely and wonderful click

Rach said...

Looks so yummy :) Well, I have a poori recipe in my blog as well. Click on the highlighted word poori and it will take you to the recipe page :)

Sushma Mallya said...

Sambar looks yum,even my mom used to make like this before...clicks are so lovely too...

Anonymous said...

Wow....that looks completely amazing!
I haven't had idlis for years. They look fantastic...
Great blog here

Unknown said...

sob sob sob sob seeing ur idlies...haven't had it in years now! they look so good :)

Suhaina said...

my perfect comfort food. love to have any time of the day. well prepared.. love to try some right now.