Sunday 27 June 2010

Borrowed recipe- Tuna-Fish Pickle

After ten days of immense fun and frolic and non stop galavanting, I am back to square one..well almost. Its just today that i got to rest and while I'm typing this, I'm watching the nail biting match between Germany and England. I am not a football fan, but its impossible to not get involved with all that's happening around me (also the British commentator is pretty darn cute, in a kinda George Clooney way).
So anyway, I have been craving fish pickle for a while now and the store bought ones are so bloody horrible, I figured I should make it on my own if I needed to. When Maya And Lakshmi- the Yummy Team posted this recipe of Fish pickle, using Tuna (kinda the only fish I eat) I had to give it a go. Also, Ro kept asking for it so much that I felt like a bitch saying no every time. So about a month back (well ya, that long ago) I got off my lazy ass and decided to make the pickle. I kinda quartered the recipe because i wasn't sure I had the patience to complete the procedure and didn't want to ruin 2 1/2 kgs of fish. The pickle tasted awesome, but the gravy was kinda less which made it a wee bit dry. But we didn't complain. Ate it like a side to chapathi and rice, rather than a pickle. I am however posting my version here, but do hop on to the Yummy Team's website to get a better perspective of the recipe, and they have even posted the step by step recipe, which somehow gives me the assurance and the support to try a particular recipe :)

Tuna steak- 500gms, cut into bite size chunks

To marinate:
Pepper powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt- t0 taste

Fresh garlic- 10 to 15 pods, peeled and chopped
Fresh ginger- 2 inch piece, sliced lengthwise
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Kashmiri chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Fenugreek powder- 1/4 tsp
White wine vinegar- a lil less than 1/4 cup or add according to your taste
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Oil- enough for deep frying
Salt- to taste

Marinate the fish pieces with pepper powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for atleast 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a deep pan and fry the marinated fish pieces. Drain on kitchen towels. Keep aside.
Pour some of the left over oil from frying into another pan and fry the ginger and garlic slices and the curry leaves and saute till nice and fragrant.Keep aside
In the same oil (add more if required), splutter mustard seeds. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell dies.
Add the chilli powder and fenugreek powder and mix well. Throw in the fried ginger, garlic, curry leaves and fish. Mix them all together and check for salt spice etc.
Add the vinegar, bring to a boil and take it off the flame.
After it cools down completely, store in an air tight container.
Notes: Like i mentioned before the gravy was really less, since i cut down the vinegar and didn't add hot water. If ever i make it again, I shall do as required.
I had to eat it immediately and it tasted just as good. Although a week or two later would have been apt.

21 comments:

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

thats a very new dish to me. fish pickle sounds amazing. great way to have readily available fish dish. looks really tangy and tasty.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Lovely! I am not much of a pickle eater but this sure looks tempting enough.
Just came downstairs after seeing the match btw England and Germany. Felt bad that England lost so badly to Germany.
Anywayz, have fun!

abraham said...

great stuff. reminds me of college days, when you have this is in your parcel from home to boarding.

PJ said...

you know i have never had fish pickle, it looks so delicious though. i got to try it sometimes!

shriya said...

Tuna pickle, sounds absolutely yummy. I am bookmarking it.

divya said...

what a wonderful presentation! looks so delicious and tempting.

Manju said...

Did you manage to see the Argentina-Mexico match as well? it was a great one...now waiting for the Argentina-Germany one next Saturday..Not a big soccer fan either but love watching some of these matches of the WC! :)

The pickle looks great!! Maybe I should afterall make some for my meat-a-holic too ;)

Suji said...

Hi Nisha..love this fish pickle..we need to try it out too.

Love
Kairali sisters

Priya Suresh said...

Wonderful match, but its really sad that England lost..Droolworthy fish pickle, even i bookmarked Yummy team's fish pickle...truly irresistible..

Reshmi Ahmed said...

just happened to see ur blog...Boy ! this fish pickle is mouthwatering so much that i want to try it very soon....nice collection u have :-)

Vrinda said...

Very new pickle to me..I am not a Tuna fan,but pickle sounds yummm

Nitha said...

Looks perfect.. tangy and spicy...

Sarah Naveen said...

i am a huge fan of fish pickle..looks so delicious...nice click too...

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for trying, Nisha :) It looks really tempting, great clicks!!

Afsal_ Alif said...

And I hope this Pick' can be used with 'nything & 'verything ie..., from finger chips( Potato - Wedges) to Biryaani....!

Sushma Mallya said...

Beautiful clicks and pickle looks awesome and spicy..

Vineetha Sush said...

This pickle is very tempting yaar..I like fish in any form :)
Me and my hubby are also not football fans but we watched that match..All the excitement of world cup has gone here .Flags at house and cars are gone.

Yasmeen said...

I have some frozen tune,glad I found this lip-smacking recipe :D

Unknown said...

ohh! presence of curry leaves is pickles is irresistible for pickle lover :)

Suhaina said...

looks so yummy. a boat can easily sail in my mouth now. nicely done.

Almostunreal said...

just what I was looking for...thankssssss