Wednesday 27 January 2010

Peach Upside-Down with a French-Yoghurt cake base

My previous experiment with an upside down cake was not too successful, but my husband convinced me to try it out once again, this time using canned fruit. I had sworn not to try it out ever again. This one, however, turned out perfectly well and tasted oh-so-good..a perfect way to celebrate our 4th Wedding Anniversary. This was my gift to Ro.
I have tried a completely different method this time and it worked out fine for me. The last recipe i followed, i somehow didn't like the cake base which was not moist enough and was dry and crumbly. So i decided to do my own version with the French-Yoghurt cake base and it came out just the way i liked it. Although Ro kept saying it was more pudding like, i am on a sugar-high just looking at it.

Topping
Packed Brown sugar- 1/2 cup (dark or light..i used dark)
Butter- 1/4 cup/ 4 tbsp
Peach slices- 1 can (about 400gms)

Place a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter and sugar. Mix well and keep stirring till the mixture starts bubbling and caramelising a bit. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool a bit.
Butter a 9 inch round cake pan and once the mixture has cooled down a bit, pour into the pan and evenly arrange the peach slices (refer pic. below)

Base: French-Yoghurt cake
All purpose flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Eggs- 3
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Flavourless Oil- 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract- 1/4 tsp
Plain yoghurt- 1/2 cup
Salt- a pinch

Centre a rack in the oven and preheat to 175C.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, using an electric beater, whisk together the sugar, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla extract till they have blended well.
Still whisking, add the dry ingredients bit by bit, till they are all mixed well.
Pour the oil into the mixture and using a large rubber spatula fold in the oil. Do not mix vigorously.

Pour this batter on top of the peach slices and even it out.
Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Take it out of the oven and cool on a rack for about 10 minutes.
Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a serving place carefully.
Serve with cream.



Notes: If the sugar mix has hardened while you have set it aside to cool, place it back on the hob and lightly heat it.
I had some extra batter after filling the tin, which i used for small cup cakes. I got about 9 of those
After a while the sugar boils and might bubble up over the cake batter, but that's ok, it kinda adds a caramelised flavour to the whole cake. I loved it.
Take extra care while you invert the cake, as this is the trickiest part. It can all crumble down or get stuck to the bottom. I prefer to invert it as soon as its been taken out of the oven as it will still be a bit buttery at the bottom and the peach slices don't stick to the pan.


I am also sending this entry to a few blog events:
Contribute Your Recipes Event- Cakes & Cookies hosted by Indian Vegetarian Kitchen and

Cakes n Cookies hosted by Sara's Corner

14 comments:

ambili said...

looks "wow"!I cannot believe this is the same gal who calls herself "disaster in the kitchen"!!! time to change the title, nish! :)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful ! I love pineapple upside down cake and always make it with canned fruit...so this definitely works for me :)

Natalie~

My Kitchen Antics said...

Ambili...haha i am enjoying the baking bit, but when it comes to the other things..things which we need 2 eat on a regular basis..im still a disaster. But than u so much for the compliment
Natalie...really, i wish i knew that before and not bothered 2 pit plums and do a treacherous job before. From now onwards its jus canned fruit for me.

Sara's Corner said...

Nice and perfect cakes. Looks yummy. Thanks for participating in the event.

Jane said...

Looks yum as usual. Guess what - I got my microwave oven working at last - after ONE whole year! We've been living on spicy grilled chicken fillets all week. Hubby is super thrilled :D

My Kitchen Antics said...

Thank you Sara
Jannnnnnnnnneeeeeee..yaaayyyy..now u can try out so many things..even bake stuff...there is a whole event on microwave cooking in one of the blogs, you should check it out.
How did u make the fillets...recipe pls

Jane said...

Hee heeeeee yeah I can't wait!

I marinated 5 leg pieces (boneless) so they were spread out like fillets, with:

- 1 heaped teaspoon (tsp) of red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Approx. 2 tsp (total) of roughly ground coriander seeds, small brown jeera and big green jeera (saunf?)
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (I have yet to buy olive oil)
- 1 heaped tsp of GGP
- Juice of one full lime (It's a Jamie Oliver thing - I have decided to do this for all non-veg henceforth!)
- Salt to taste (???)

Mix this entire concoction together and rub nicely into fillets after making small slits into the skin here n there. Leave in fridge for atleast an hour before grilling. Hubby said it tasted like fried chicken :D

My Kitchen Antics said...

Jane..how long du cook it in the microwave? or du bake it? is ur a microwave/ oven?
I still havent experimented with microwave cooking..heating coffee in it puts me off the whole thing and i once tried baking a cake and it tasted horrible..so im a bit sceptical.
Let me know how long u cooked it and whether it was better than the hob top or oven.

Jane said...

I grilled it Nish - 15 mins one side, ten the other - or depending on how brown you want it. It has microwaving, grill and baking option. My mum had a similar model but of course from 20 years ago (Panasonic) and we did all our cookies and Xmas cakes in them. Her current house has a built-in oven but she doesn't have the time now and I just had no clue how to use it.

My Kitchen Antics said...

Ah grilled it...no wonder:)
I was talking about the normal microwave with just the heating option and ive tried cakes in them, but it was horrible. But i have friends who cook rice, make poppadoms etc in it and is totally smitten.

Unknown said...

Belated anniversary wishes Nisha!! Hope you had a great day.

The cake looks so pretty :) I havent tried an upside down cake yet, your pic is inspiring me :)

My Kitchen Antics said...

Hi Maria...thanks
Upside down cakes are kinda easy..do try it out

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

ah looks so pretty and yummy. thanks for sending it to my event.

Reshmi Ahmed said...

got to try this one Nisha.....looks like the more i go through ur recipes, the more i want to try each and every thing soon :)
i have baked the pineapple upside down cake and my hubby just loved it...iam sure he would love this one too :)