I am not a big fan of sea food, but my husband is and so we end up buying certain varieties now and then. We were at the Indian grocery store last week and picked up some frozen Kingfish (which is not really the best but had to make do with it because we don't get them at the local super market). Sunday brunch is quite elaborate for us and so i made this fish masala to go with rice and Dal.
Kingfish- 4 pieces washed and cleaned
Onion- 1 thinly sliced
Green chillies- 3 thinly sliced
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbs
Turmeric pwd.- 1/2 tsp
Pepper pwd.- 1tsp
Chilli pwd.- 1tsp
Coriander pwd.- 1 tbs
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Oil- enough to fry the fish
Salt- to taste
1. Marinate the fish with half the pepper pwd, turmeric and salt and keep aside for 15 minutes.
2. Make a paste out of the chilli pwd, coriander pwd, rest of the pepper pwd with water and keep aside.
3 Heat some oil in a frying pan and sautee onions, green chillies, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste till the onions become brown. Remove from fire and keep aside.
4. In the remaining oil (if not enough add some more) shallow fry the fish. Once done on both sides, remove from fire and keep aside.
5. In the same pan, splutter mustard seeds and add the spice paste (step 2) on low flame. Fry till the raw smell of the masala dies.
6. Increase the flame to medium and add the sauteed mixture (step 3) to the masala mix along with the required amount of salt. Once it is mixed well, add half a cup water and stir till the mixture becomes semi-gravy like.
7. Throw in the fried fish and mix well. Make sure it is coated well on both sides and once most of the liquid is absorbed, the fish masala is ready to go.
Note: I used coconut oil and that made a whole lotta difference to the flavour.
Special thanks to Roshan who washed and cleaned the fish for me:)