Monday 24 May 2010

Pear & Walnut Loaf

I made some Poached Pears with orange and spices some 2 weeks back when we had guests over and there were about 5 pears i had completely forgotten about and while Ro was looking for something under a shelf, he came across the pears in a plastic cover. The green pears had become super ripe and i was shouted at saying i always buy so much of everything and then it gets spoilt and needs to be thrown out....which is not always true. C'mon cut me some slack..i buy them with great enthusiasm saying id make this and that, and i do too....but sometimes I forget or most of the time laziness gets the better of me and i ignore.
So these pears were transferred from the shelf to the refrigerator where it hatched for about 4 or 5 days and then again i got shouted at by Ro saying i don't have any intention of doing anything with it, might as well throw it out and save some space. I had just gotten back from the gym after a really "vigorous" work out and this happened just as i plopped on the sofa. I was so pissed off and decided to prove him wrong. Did some super fast research online and decided on a Pear Loaf by Smitten Kitchen. I halved her recipe because it was my first attempt at making a fruit based bread. I am glad i tried it out because it was super easy and one of the moistest, yummiest and exotic recipes i have ever tried. It is definitely gonna make its way back into my kitchen and then it would hopefully not be with pears waiting to be rescued:)
Ro ate quite a few slices with some left over cream cheese frosting dabbed on top..and oh i also made him say I'm so awesome and a whole lotta things like that :)

Plain flour- 1 1/2 cups
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp

Chopped walnuts- 1/2 cup
Oil- 1/2 cup
Eggs- 2
Sugar- 1 cup
Conference Pears or dessert pears- 4 or 5, cored, peeled and pureed. I got about 2 cups of puree.
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp

Combine the first five ingredients together in a bowl.
Transfer a bit of this mix into another bowl, add the walnuts and toss it around so they are all evenly coated.
Beat the eggs using a whisk in a mixing bowl and add the oil, sugar, pureed pear, vanilla extract and the coated walnuts and stir to combine well.
Add this to the flour mix and stir till combined well and no flour is seen.
Transfer the batter into a 9 inch greased and lined bread tin or a square pan and bake in a pre heated oven (175C) for about 50 to 60 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Take it out of the oven and about 5 minutes later, place it on a wire rack till it is completely cooled.
Cut it into slices and store in an air tight container.

Notes/ Changes I made: I pureed the pear instead of grating it and that's why the colour is a deeper brown I guess.
I reduced the quantity of cinnamon down to a half tsp since we are both not too fond of the strong taste and in spite of that it still had a nice tang of cinnamon, not too strong but you knew it was there.
I chose to use oil instead of butter and also added walnuts.

Sending this to the Green Gourmet event hosted by Preeti of Relishing Recipes and to the Blog Bites event hosted by Nupur of One Hot Stove, where this months theme is Adaptation.

I would also like to thank Nitha of Amateur Perceptions and S S of Treat your Tongue for passing on the lovely awards. I have waaaay too many pics i like and over 1000's of pics to choose from. These two were on the recent albums and so here you go:

This was at about 4pm in the quaint town of Salisbury near Stonehenge. The sky was just brilliant. Ro and myself are doing a photography series on skies and this is one of my personal favourites.

This is again on the way to Stonehenge where we stopped to take in all of the English countryside and the road was covered in these colourful leaves....autumn at its best. I had to take a self pic and then i started this whole 'shoe series' of my own :)

21 comments:

Sayali said...

looks nice..

Unknown said...

they look lovely dear, I love walnuts :)

Preeti Kashyap said...

This is so very new to me...thanks for sending this lovely recipe to Green Gourmet! you have a lovely space here as well.

Shriya said...

Love your loaf. Never made loaf using pears. Must be delicious.

Parita said...

Pear walnut loaf looks lovely! Nice clicks makes me wanna grab a slice :)

PJ said...

pear and walnut loaf looks so delicious.. any quick bread is always a big welcome at our place :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow fabulous loaf..looks awesome and scrumptious..

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats a unique combo but you have done it to perfection..really well and so delicious..

Nitha said...

Looks perfect.. Though I love pear, never tried the cooked version..

Suja Manoj said...

Wow loaf looks so perfect...a unique combo

Namitha said...

I wanted to try this one and I've bookmarked the Smitten kitchen sometimes back :-) Yours has come out so perfect ..and lovely pictures BTW

Pavithra Srihari said...

Beautiful pictures da ... Love it .. Love the bread as well

Malar Gandhi said...

Congrats on the award, lovely pictures. Perfect, love the combo'

Unknown said...

Perfect and delicious bread..Bookmarked!! Both the pictures look fantastic!!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks bful and delcious dear..awesome color of the bread....yum..pls collect ur award from my blog

style said...

looks delicious yummy cake i love it
thanks for recipe

Pravs said...

Nice loaf with walnut and pear.

Sayali said...

Hey I lvoed both the snaps..
I have one more award for you..:)
Congrats for receiving that

Sunitha said...

Like the pictures!

Padmajha said...

Very unique cake.looks very tempting..Loved all the pics :)

Padhu Sankar said...

Bread looks delicious!!