Friday 30 September 2011

Passion fruit-basil lemonade

IMG_5780
We have been having some exceptionally hot weather (30C) this side of the world, and its horrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for skimpy shorts and margaritas, but when you are kinda done with summer and want to move on to the changing leaves, scorching hot and humid weather doesn't really work well for me. I mean it was just last weekend I put away my summer wear and pulled out all my knitwear and even shopped around for some new scarves and jackets. When on earth will I be able to pick up this gorgeous pair of ankle boots, that I have been eyeing?? When, when, when???

So instead of dreaming about hot chocolate and mulled wine, I have gone to making cold drinks, yet again. I was out all of yesterday and by the time I got to my last stop, the grocery store, I was pooped and wanted something cold. Strangely I was craving passion fruit juice (I mean who craves passion fruit juice???)..and I dint think twice before picking it up. Came back home, jazzed it up with some fresh basil and lemonade and it was an awesome combo.
IMG_5778
I was so thrilled with my discovery, i forced myself to keep about a glass in the fridge for Ro, who came back from work, spiked it with gin and said it was much better...Hmmmpfff...so much for all the hard work! (although i admit it tasted great). There is not much of a recipe here, I just threw in a few ingredients, but I thought I should pen it down, just for picture sake :)

Passion fruit juice- 3 cups (any brand, I used Rubicon)
Passion fruit pulp- from two small fruits
Lemonade- 1 1/2 cups
Basil- about 3 tbsp, torn
Ice cubes- as required
IMG_5773
Muddle together the basil leaves and passion fruit pulp lightly.
Top with the passion fruit juice followed by the lemonade
Throw in the ice cubes, garnish with a basil leaf and serve

Notes: Add some gin or vodka for some extra kick
The passion fruit juice can be really sweet, so dilute it with some water if required.

23 comments:

divya said...

Oh yum. Those look amazing and delicious.

Anonymous said...

It's getting super warm even this side of the world, well it's been warm for the last 5 months now.
And when it's time for those boots to come out from the closet .. I will be in India for two months!!

Julie said...

Lovely refreshing drink... All your recipes are superbly clicked!!
Thanx for leaving your comments at my space , I will be happy if you follow me too..

R said...

looks amazingly refreshing, luv the color.

Manju said...

Im totally with you. It does not feel like fall here yet, we still have some sunny not cold days. But the days I feel even a little cold, out come my boots! Ive ordered two new ones (one is an ankle boot) and eagerly waiting for them to reach me :)

Sarah said...

hehe... i always seem to crave passion fruit :) my son too... And they are usually slurped up before i can think of incorporating them into any fruity dessert :) Now tht looks like a refreshing drink that we are sure to enjoy ie if I can manage to save up some passion fruits ..

Umm Mymoonah said...

It's still warm over here, would be perfect to have this lovely glass of drink.

Vineetha Sush said...

Nice colour,thats what I wud like to drink right now.Weather is unbelievable alle??
After a whole day out yesterday,I m spending my day indoors,maybe I m the only one in U.K who is staying home on a day like this :)

Nitha said...

I never liked passion fruit until I had a store bought carton of juice from here.. Adding lemonade sounds like a good idea :)

turmericnspice said...

i want the drink.......the photograph is like a painting....it so beautiful !!!!!!!!!

Neha said...

Nice and refreshing drink....

Binys Recipes said...

ya an unexpected sore in temp...and this drink is sure to cool us down....

Neetz said...

wow!! thats some divine looking frink... the color looks awesome too..

meanehilemy comment in open book is not going theu.dunno y.. this is what i wrote "ohhh open book!! i didnt know u were going on GM diet. otherwise i too would have joined u for a company.. i have looked 3 timesin my life.. and yes true skin is the best part and by day & u feel urself more light weighted and sexier looking :)"

the Junkie book said...

Nisha i cannot tell you how incredibly prettily styled your first photo is...it looks sooooo Tuscany! i personally like food photos styled with minimum props as it becomes more challenging to make the pic look good.

it would make a gorgeous kitchen wall hanging!

superb!

Priya Suresh said...

Fascinating and refreshing lemonade, lovely flavours together..

Sanchita said...

I am loving this weather..as long as it lasts...and your drink perfectly matches the weather..

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful drink and combination looks fabulous

Indian Khana said...

That's looks very refreshing ..perfect for any time .....

Alpana said...

What a drink & beautiful presentaton. Even though it's getting very chilly here I can still have something like this dring.

aipi said...

Absolutely gorgeous pics ~ I so want to grab one glass from my monitor :)
USMasala

Prathima Rao said...

Refreshing & inviting!!! And...oooohhh...i so loved the color!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Reflections said...

The pictures are gorgeous:-))!!!!!

Jorie said...

Just chiming in as another lover of passionfruit. Really became crazed with it in Dominican Republic... nose knew there was fresh fruit on the buffet... frangrance as intoxicting as the flavor! (They even had passionfruit yogurt there!). Sadly, cannot find as much (esp fresh) back in the states. Will def try your recipes. Cheers!