Thursday 16 June 2011

Grilled chicken wings- the Indian way

IMG_2586
About 2 weeks back, we had some friends over for dinner and I did a Mexican theme with buffalo wings, quesadillas, ranch dressing and guava mojitos..a little Cuban influence there, but who cares? 

So having discovered cleaned, skinless chicken wings at another grocery store nearby, I was pretty much over joyed, to say the least. The problem is, they get over really fast (which is probably why I never knew they existed in the first place) and so if you are not lucky (in my case early enough) you may not get it. I had stocked up on 2 sets of wings the last time I chanced upon them and was very happy when the others who came by looking for them were disappointed (yup, totally mean, if you're wondering)

One set I used for the lunch party and the other set, I made some Indian inspired chicken wings which were served with a baked potato and a tomato salad. Now that's my kinda dinner. I have posted a recipe for buffalo wings and quesadillas here, here and here, if you're interested

Recipe has been adapted from here
IMG_2583
To marinate
Thick curd- 3/4 cup
Ginger paste- 1/2 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
Dried fenugreek leaves- 1 1/2 tsp
Ground black pepper- 1/4 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves- to garnish (optional)
Skinless chicken wings, tips removed- 1 kg, cleaned and dried with a kitchen towel

Sauce:
Onions- 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato- 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic- 5 largish pods, peeled and roughly chopped
Ginger- 2 inch piece, finely chopped
Salt- to taste
Water- 1/4 cup (optional)
Oil- 1/2 tbsp
IMG_2576
Mix together all the ingredients under the 'to marinate' section in a bowl until well combined.
Pour over the chicken wings, toss well, cover and marinate over night or for at least an hour.
When ready to grill, line a baking tray with aluminium foil and place the chicken wings in rows. Don't over crowd. 
Save the remaining marinade for basting and for the sauce
Preheat the grill for about 10 minutes on high and grill the chicken for a total of 10 to 12 minutes. Take it out after about 5 minutes, baste it with more marinade (if required), turn it over and cook for the remaining 5 or 6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining wings.
Once they are all grilled, transfer them into a clean mixing bowl.
IMG_2581
To make the sauce, heat a frying pan with oil and throw in the onions, ginger and garlic.
Saute on medium-low heat till they are slightly wilted.
Throw in the tomatoes and salt and cook till the oil starts separating. 
Add the remaining marinade from the chicken and cook till oil starts resurfacing again. Do this on low heat to prevent the curds from curdling.
Once completely cooked, pour the sauce over the cooked chicken wings, toss to coat well and garnish with coriander leaves. Alternatively, if the sauce is cooked in a vessel large enough to hold all the wings, then throw in the chicken and toss it around in the same pan itself.
IMG_2597
Notes: Grilling chicken on high heat takes no time at all...be careful not to burn it (as you can see, i did manage 2 burn it)
The sauce is completely optional, I didn't want it to be too dry, so opted for a sauce. If serving it dry, then probably a dipping sauce on the side would be a good idea.

40 comments:

Sarah said...

they look so good!

Raksha said...

mouthwatering

Suja Manoj said...

Drool drool,mouthwatering delicious

Binys Recipes said...

wow dear....i was looking for some nice barbecue recipefpr tomr...and after seeeing this recipe i amgona bring some wings....even though i may have to clean it....drooling over the pics

Unknown said...

chicken wings, yes skinless are heaven in summer and spring unfortunately i don't skinless, usually I spend hours to get them cleaned when i crave for it! this is SO good Nisha, like the idea of sauce, shall keep it for summer parties to come!

KrithisKitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finla said...

Wow you get skinless wings, lucky you, here i always remove the skins myself, which is rather a lot of work. These looks so so good.

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks fabulous
I haven't added fenugreek leaves before delicious addition
looks like summer is here :)

Sarah Naveen said...

Love love love it..!!! looks tempting Nisha!!!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

So finally got hold of few skinless chicken wings in the store :-) I'm drooling here...Very tempting

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Shabs.. said...

That looks good...Sounds like tandoori marinade...BTW, nissshhhhhhhhhaaaaaa...I too have that brown ceramic pot with lid.:D...Me too making chicken roast today, but whole though:)

Radhika@foodfor7stages said...

TH will love this one. He has been asking me to cook chicken for a while now. I am cooking this for him over the weekend. Thanks for sharing this super delicious recipe Nisha

Plateful said...

Oh wow, can't take my eyes off that grill...especially the first and last pictures! I'm not a big fan of wings so I'll try making this with drumsticks. Superb pics ketto..:) On second thoughts, I'm asking my hubby to take me to Nandoos tonight to enjoy their delicious peri-peri ;)

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

gorgeous clicks...love this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Mouthwatering- Love grilled chicken.What yummy wings!

Sunanda said...

OMG!! it looks so tempting.. m feeling hungry dear, pass me the bowl :)

Nitha said...

Drooling over the clicks Nisha.. the chicken looks yumm ... And I had a blunt lunch ( flavoured yogurt) today which makes me more craving..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Wow...Tempting pieces over there....delicious..

Sobha Shyam said...

OMG..they look awesome..tempting me a lot..lovely clicks..

Rose from Magpies Recipes said...

Those look so yum! the husband loves wings. Maybe I should be extra nice and make these to go with the cake I was planning for Father's day (sssh!)

Priya Suresh said...

Those chicken wings looks simply out the world, feel like finishing that whole plate..

KitchenTherapy said...

chicken is soo hard to cook. looks amzing

Deepti said...

What a tempting starter for any party..

http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Looks absolutely restaurant style...very delicious looking

Sushma Mallya said...

wow Nisha It looks so delicious ..YUM!

Prathima Rao said...

OMG Nisha...What an awesome recipe!!!!! I make paneer tikka using a similar marinade but the sauce is a nice, royal addition!!!!! Loved it...totally!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Such a feast to the eye and tummy...am speechless but hungry! Chicken anytime for me!! ;)

Vineetha Sush said...

woww ! Loved all the pics, so tempting.

Suman Singh said...

This looks good… Will definitely be trying it. I’m hungry already looking at the pics..nice and easy recipe..thanks for sharing!!

Foodie Ann said...

It has been a while since I had a grilled chicken.... Pictures makes me wanna grab one of those and eat it right away....:)

Nice recipe Nisha...:)

kellypea said...

What a great version of an old fave. Sounds fabulous!

divya said...

looks delicious dear..very tempting..love it..

Reflections said...

They look totally yummlicious....I make the same way except for the marinade:-)

Jaisy James said...

yummy and mouthwatering superbb click

Indian Khana said...

Looks absolute delicious and lovely pics

Monet said...

Oh I bet these were a hit! We had mojitos at our party last weekend too :-) As always, I love reading your posts. They always make me smile...and they make me want to get into my kitchen! Thank you for sharing all that you do. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Sunitha said...

Yum! Looks delicious. It is indeed the season for grilling! I am hoping to get my share of it over the July 4th long weekend. Liked the idea of grilling and then topping the wings with sauce..

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I came to your blog from your guest post on Kulsum's blog. You have fabulous recipes here. I have to take a tour on your blog. This chicken looks great!

JishasKitchen said...

omg....that looks so appetizing...awesome clicks and I loved it..yum

Cozinhando com Amigos said...

Hello sweet Nisha! What a beautiful blogand nice recipes!!!! Taste of Indian cuisine and I really identifies with his country. So now, I'm more a follower of your blog. Take this opportunity to invite you to visit my blog and know a bit of Brazilian cuisine. If you like, follow me.

http://kibe-cozinhandocomamigos.blogspot.com/

Kisses from Brazil!

Luiz