Tuesday 23 November 2010

Kashmiri chicken curry with cumin flavoured rice

This is a recipe my aunt passed on a few weeks back after I called and harassed her, that is! I googled it quite a bit but none that looked appetising enough turned up. So I got it from the expert herself. I remember her making this during certain family functions and used to serve it with parathas or like my cousin later mentioned, fried rice. 

While I was taking down the recipe, it felt like a really long procedure, but once I got started, it was actually a breezy affair. Usually if it is a recipe that requires you to purée and blend and grind, I think twice about making it. But this, in spite of all that was not too treacherous...maybe it was that urge to taste something you used to love so much, that made me do this. But seriously, if I need to say that, you have no choice but to believe me. By now you would already know how incredibly lazy I am. 
My aunt told me she got this recipe from a not-so-popular magazine and this was in one corner of a page. She cut out the recipe and once she tried it there was no going back. I'd say the same for me too. This is definitely on my list the next time i entertain guests...especially if I want to show off a bit:)

The curry is quite spicy, rich and creamy and tastes even better the next day. I served it with cumin flavoured rice and have absolutely no regrets. 
I have halved the recipe here, since I was trying it out for the first time. Feel free to double it.

Kashmiri chicken curry
Chicken- 750 gms, cleaned and cut into medium pieces (I used thighs and legs, bone in pieces)
Onions- 2, medium, chopped and pureed
Tomato- 3 ripe ones, pureed
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Hot water- 1 1/2 cups
Cashew nuts- 15 no's, ground with a tbsp or so of water to form a thick paste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Ghee- 1 1/2 tbsp (optional)

To grind:
Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder- 1 tbsp or 6 to 7 dry red chilliesFennel seeds- 3/4 tsp
Cloves- 6
Cinnamon sticks- 2 inch long 2 pieces
In a large heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil.
On medium heat, fry the onion paste, ginger and garlic paste till light brown.
Add the ground mix, sauté and cook till the mix turns a deep brown colour and oil separates. This is very important.
Add the puréed tomato to the mix, stir and again on medium heat cook till the oil separates. Don't hurry this process.
Toss in the chicken pieces and mix well till they are all coated with the masala. 
Add enough salt and hot water. Stir well, cover and cook till the chicken is almost done...say about 15 minutes or so.
Then add the cashew paste and give it a quick stir. 
Reduce the heat to low and cook again for 6 to 7 minutes.
Add a dash of ghee (if using) and serve hot with rice or parathas)
Notes: I would reduce the chilli powder to about 1/2 tbsp the next time
You can chop the onion finely instead of puréeing it. 
Cooking the masala is very important..it becomes a really dark colour and the oil forms a layer. Also make sure you do this on medium heat only.

Cumin flavoured rice

Basmati rice- 1 cup, washed and soaked for at least 15 mins
Boiling water- 2 cups
Ghee (clarified butter)- 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp (optional)
Cloves- 2
Cinnamon- 1 inch stick
Cardamom- 3
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Lime juice- 1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Fried onions and cashew nuts- to garnish (optional) (I shallow fry it in some oil, drain and keep it ready)
In a shallow pan heat the ghee and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Stir till they start to sizzle.
Drain the rice completely and add to the pan. Fry for a few minutes, stirring at intervals.
Add the cumin seeds and turmeric powder and mix maxing sure the rice is coated evenly.
Pour boiling water, lime juice and salt and give one final stir.
Close with a lid and cook on medium heat till the rice is done..about 10 to 12 minutes.
Just before you serve, fluff the rice, garnish with the fried onions and cashew nuts or coriander leaves and serve hot.

48 comments:

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

What a feast! I had soup for lunch (again) so this post made me tear up a bit. In a good way, of course :)

JishasKitchen said...

YYummy chicken curry....i loved the color too...its so inviting...and nice click too..

Anonymous said...

What a meal...feel like digging in right away :)

GB said...

I'm a big fan of Kashmiri cuisine. have you ever tried their Gushtaba? oooh! (But it's wayyyyy too much work to think of making it at home!)

GB said...

Did I mention that the chicken looks divine and I just want to dive in with my spoon and fork? :)

Asha said...

Kashmiri Chicken looks very interesting....I will surely try it...and soon...

Fathima said...

that table is definitely inviting... what a perfect combo and great clicks!

Prerna said...

Another fabulous chicken curry recipe by you! Whenever I need to try something new or different with chicken curry I search up your blog :-)
LOVE the cumin rice btw. Now I have idea for what to pair my turkey roulade with this thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Kashmiri chicken looks great...hot chicken with steamed rice is what I want for this weather,looks super yummmy

Unknown said...

Your kashmiri chicken curry makes me drool, looks so spicy and delectable!!

Rekha shoban said...

perfect combo....beautiful pic and click!

Sushma Mallya said...

Mouthwatering,lovely combo...

turmericnspice said...

love the pictures...awesome photography.

Anh said...

Wow. You did a fantastic job on styling and cooking! The curry is calling my name. Delicious!

Nisa Homey said...

Never had cumin flavored rice before....bookmarked.....kashmiri chicken looks inviting.

Foodie Ann said...

What a beautiful spread...Love it...I don't know if i have tasted a kashmiri chicken...it sure sounds delicious....:)

Satrupa said...

Droolz ! My mom was talking about Kashmiri Dum Alu couple of days back ..... but lazy me !! Didn't want to go through such an elaborate process.
But the chicken curry definitely gives me the kick to go for it !!
Lovely Clicks too ....

Cheers,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Binys Recipes said...

Hey the recipe is lookinggreat and it sounds not that hard to me....pics are clicked beautifully.Will tempt even a vegan.
Thanks.
Biny

Jaisy James said...

yummy chicken curry n cumin rice also looks delicious

Priya Suresh said...

Very inviting rice and chicken curry, both looks truly irresistible..

Binys Recipes said...

Both the dishes look exotic....the chicken curry will surely be tried.....
Biny

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Great presentation and pics.Am feeling hungry now:)

Sanchita said...

Hmm I wasn't feeling hungry until I thought lets see what Nisha is upto and came to your page. Now I am craving for this..

Anonymous said...

Zeera Rice looks yummy.

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

never tried the chicken curry before...looks delicious...

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy chicken curry..make me hungry,both looks irresistible.

Unknown said...

This is wow post Nisha and the pictures are too much to handle for starving female ... brilliant am dam sure to try this chick pretty soon! I too do little too much show off for few special invites :P

btw the mousse for peached pear is vanilla mousse!

Sarah Naveen said...

awesome clicks gal!!
i wanna dig in it now..
everything looks mouthwatering!!

Sunitha said...

Very nice picture. Interesting recipe to boot.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

Love curries, and the rice dish is a great idea. Love the photos and there is not a curry dish I wouldn't try.

Suji said...

Beautifully photographed Nisha...I loved the cumin rice chicken curry combo..Absolutely stunning recipes..

Yours Truly said...

lovely food dear! the rice looks too appetizing and the chicken out of this dunya!

aipi said...

Nice spread...love the look of it!

US Masala

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen said...

This looks delicious. I haven't been getting kashimiri deggi mirch lately. I'm sure its fabulous!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Both dishes sound wonderful and have been bookmarked. You've created a feast that many will love. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Ruchi M said...

Just discovered your blog - really great stuff and am going to visit it more often!

Ruchi M said...

I forgot to leave my blog site - http://ruchisimplyfood.blogspot.com

les 2 gourmands said...

just all that we love !!!!

My Kitchen Antics said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

Some of the best recipes come from old magazines! I found loads of clippings in my grandma's old books and there were some real gems. Lovely looking curry - I like a good curry on a Friday!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious combination looks fabulous

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

Hey, wait a minute! Do we have similar posts? Just now I realized that I saw your post a few days back and it never crossed my mind that it was stuck in my head somewhere :-)
Thanks for being stuck in my head I guess!!
Saw ur comment abt. madras curry. Its actually the same as the garam masala that we use at home but is a little milder and a touch sour. Its pretty popular here in the american market but I don't think its any different and hence I use garam masala instead.

Sweet Artichoke said...

I cannot resist cumin rice and yours looks delicious, with the cashew and spices!

Soma said...

A very scrumptious Chicken Curry. Love the rice too. Craving for some nice quiet evening, beer and the chicken curry:-)

Nitha said...

hey.. I love that chicken curry...

farah saleem said...

oh my!!!drooool!....makin it for dinner tonight!

farah saleem said...

oh my!!!drooool!....makin it for dinner tonight!

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

OMG this sounds so delicious. Come join in my event.

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme. New theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.