Sunday 1 August 2010

Roasted Spatchcocked Poussin with veggies

Fancy eh? Yeah thats what I thought too when I saw this lil bird at Sainsbury's, only to realize its nothing but a small chicken, something like a Cornish game hen. And spatchcocked is just a way the bird has been cut to suit grilling, baking needs. Anyways, I decided to work with it and was pretty apprehensive since I've never really had the guts to cook a full chicken ever! Even eating a full bird, was never my kinda thing because most of the time the masalas don't catch onto the flesh and if its a big bird like turkey, whatever you do its still bloody tasteless. Sunday roasts, this side of the world are a common thing and I decided to do the same, except I did so on a Saturday :)
The bird (yeah I know, sounds like I'm referring to a chick) was cleaned and had some pepper seasoning on it, but I was sure it would be bland and so jazzed it up a bit. The end result was something I'm very proud of. My first time with a bird (again, sorry to sound so kinky) and it was awesome. Since it was tiny, the seasoning caught on well and the veggies accompanying the roast was even better. I would definitely pick up more of this tiny lil bird for future cooking.

Spatchcocked poussin- 450 gms, skin on (trust me its an advantage when you roast it)

To marinate:
Kashmiri chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice- a splash
Salt and pepper- to taste.
New potatoes- 8 to 10, quartered
Baby carrots- 12 to 15, washed
Asparagus- 8 to 10 heads
Chicken stock- 2 cups (i dissolved two Maggi chicken stock cubes in hot water)
Dried thyme- 1 tsp
Salt and pepper- if required
Olive oil- to drizzle

Mix all the ingredients in the 'to marinate' section together and generously rub onto the poussin. Keep aside till your veggies are half cooked.
In another heavy bottomed vessel, pour the chicken stock, the quartered potatoes, carrots and asparagus. 
Throw in the dried thyme salt (stock might be salty, so add after doing a taste check) and pepper (if needed) and bring to a boil.
After the veggies are half cooked, turn off the fire and keep aside.

In a roasting pan, place the poussin and snugly fit in all the pre cooked veggies around it. 
Drizzle some olive oil on to the bird and the veggies or spread it around with a basting brush.
Pour some of the stock over the bird and place on the middle shelf of an oven preheated at 190C for 45 to 50 minutes.
After about 15 minutes, take the pan out and pour some more stock on the bird and veggies and turn the veggies around a bit, if you can. This is to keep the bird moist. Continue doing so every 15 minutes.
At the end of the cooking time, cut a slice from the thigh or so and see if its cooked, the juices should run clear.
Carve the bird- since its small, each half can be easily gorged on by a person- pour a ladle full of stock over the meat and serve with some garlic bread.
Notes: Like I mentioned before there was already some pepper seasoning on the poussin which didn't really give out too much flavour and since we didn't want a spicy' too Indian' marinade, we went easy on the masalas. Go ahead and add as much chilli and cumin and coriander powder as per your liking.
You can throw in whatever veggies you want..parsnips, sweet potatoes, swede etc etc.
Left over (if any) can be shredded and used in a sandwich :)

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh...very filling indeed....I too prepare this with the cornish one..and this is quite common in our dinner table...I use to make soup with the left over stock....

GB said...

I've never tried to roasta whole bird either-nope, not even turkey (who's going to finish it off-esp. when its so bland!)...this looks mighty interesting...I like that you can see the cumin seeds sticking to the bird...um... fowl.!!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

I am a big fan of Cornish game hens. This does look similar.
My mouth is watering at the sight of such a fabulous roasted bird. Good job girl!

Satya said...

looks colorful n i am sure its must be very tasty n big hit for chicken lovers

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Fathima said...

that is an interesting name for the chicken .... heard and tried cornish hen ... never this one.. sounds interesting!

aipi said...

wow..this look so wonderful..i am sure it is a awesome treat for chicken lovers...

Nitha said...

Am yet to work with a whole chick.. This looks great..

Unknown said...

This looks, sounds and bet it tastes fantastic..Awesome pictures as usual..Will surely give it a try using cornish game hen..

Monet said...

This looks beautiful, and I'm sure it tastes even better. Even though my husband and I stopped eating meat several years ago, I still take one or two bites whenever my mom makes cornish hens (which I imagine our fairly similar to these birds).

Vrinda said...

Oh My that looks lovely...gr8 recipe n looks fab...my hubby would lov this..

Suji said...

Wow name sounds fancy as you said but the chicken loks perfect roasted da..Adipoli, that pics with carrots is just mindblowing!!!!

Vineetha Sush said...

Helloooooooo..
This looks so tempting .Will look out for the lil bird when I m out in supermarket next time.

Afsal_ Alif said...

The Pic: lukks spicy & extravagant...I wonder from where did the word 'Spatchcock' come frm ?....And wat does it mean....?!

Foodie Ann said...

Looks so exotic...with the roasted veggies in the side...:)

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely colourful platter

abraham said...

hmmm... new to me..probably will use for indian tandoori chicken....

PJ said...

looks so colorful and delicious. yes, i have been skimpy too in trying to cook with a whole chicken. this one sounds like a comfortable middle-ground i might agree with :)

Sushma Mallya said...

Lovely clicks nisha,it looks very delicious too

Fajeeda said...

hi first time here grt to go through ur blog.........glad to follow u.......if time permits pls visit my space.....www.fajishotpot.blogspot.com

Friday Delights said...

Your blog is great…first time here and I am enjoying every dish u posted….yummy!!! And thanks for stopping by :)

Sarah Naveen said...

Yeah thats a very fancy name :)..
looks appetizing and yummy!!

sayantani said...

thats an incredible job done. My husband loves roasted chickens but am always apprehensive that my small OTG would not be enough to cook and spice up the whole thing. thanks for the tips and the recipe. Guess should give it a final try. the pictures are as always amazing.

PranisKitchen said...

the name itself really interesting ..so deliicous abt the dish.. so beautiful abt the pic

Suja Manoj said...

Interesting name and lovely dish..looks very delicious too.

Unknown said...

Since am already allowed for dinner,will soon visit to have this lil bird, Oh man! those pic are awesome, trust me irresistible Nisa! :D