Tuesday 6 April 2010

Spicy Beef Curry

After 4 days of lazing around, watching movies, BBQ and eating out, Tuesday was such a pathetic day. Ro woke me up saying the weather was so good and to go out and do a buncha chores.. I nodded, turned around and went back to sleep. Woke up pretty late and was so lethargic and not in the mood for anything. I even skipped gym, in spite of it being a beautiful day. Hadn't cooked all over the weekend and so i was thoroughly dreading it. I wished, that by some mere luck, there would be leftovers in the fridge which i could use, but no, hadn't cooked anything for 4 days, then how on earth would there be leftovers?
At around 6 in the evening I got out of my comfort zone and decided to make something super easy. Had some diced beef, thawed them and decided to make a beef curry in the pressure cooker. Also, i hadn't made an Indian curry in a long time and thought this would be the best time. It was nice and spicy and absolutely easy...for me, easy would be something I don't have to keep stirring, don't have to cut a whole lotta veggies for, and should be tasty and serve the purpose..if only life was that simple right?

Diced Beef- 500gms
Onion- 1, roughly chopped
Tomato- 1, chopped
baby potatoes- 6, cut into bite size cubes
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Cinnamon- 1" stick
Cloves- 3
Curry Leaves- a sprig
Oil- 1 tbsp

To marinate:
Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tbsp
Fenugreek Powder- 1/2 tsp
Pepper Powder- 1/2 tsp
Meat Masala- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Ginger Paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
Salt- to taste

Marinate the diced beef with all the ingredients in the 'to marinate' section. Keep aside (I didn't have the patience and time to keep it for an hour or so, I cooked it immediately)
In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves, cinnamon and cloves.
When it is nice and fragrant, add the onions and sauté till light brown. Add the tomatoes and on high heat cook for another 5 minutes, or till they are mashed.
Add the marinated beef, diced potatoes and mix well. The masala would coat the potatoes and the onion mix.
Add half a cup of water, close the cooker and when you see the steam, put on the weight and wait for the whistle. After the first whistle reduce heat to medium and I wait for another 8 to 10 minutes...but it may be different for you.
Remove from the heat and wait for the pressure to die, or if you are in a hurry like me, let the steam escape and open the lid.
If it is too watery, put it back on high heat and cook for a few more minutes. If it is too thick, stir in some warm water.
Check for salt, spice etc. and add if required.
Serve hot with rice, rotis or even upma (instant MTR btw!)

Note: Substitute coconut milk for water, and I'm sure it would taste even better.
I have made this curry without any tomatoes and mustard and curry leaves etc...it still turned out pretty awesome.

13 comments:

Vineetha Sush said...

Never made a curry with Beef. Always go for dry version,maybe I should try a curry sometime :)

Tina said...

Mouthwatering and spicy beef curry...Luv beef in any form..Yum

Cool Lassi(e) said...

The curry is looking fabulous in-spite of me being averse to beef.Maybe its because of the baby potatoes in it!

Miriam Korula said...

nish...this sure seems really easy...the problem is it's really unlikely i will have some beef with me on a lazy day...:(

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious curry, my husband will definitely love this..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Dear,
I have a chain post that I have passed on to you..You have to mention 10 most inspiring women from different walks of life, who is not your relative and pass it on to 6 folks:
http://pangravykadaicurry.blogspot.com/2010/04/dhal-fritters-with-compound-flavors-and.html

Unknown said...

Spicy, yummy beef curry!! Great pic and recipe..

shriya said...

Never tried beef with potatoes. It looks mouthwatering. Bookmarked it.

AdukalaVishesham said...

We usually make beef ullarthiyathu and not curry.. but this looks really good...

Sushma Mallya said...

Gravy recipe seems really good and as i dont have beef will surely try out with something else...

Vibhinta said...

Made this curry with veal and added the coconut milk. Also added a little powdered elaichi and powdered dried coconut to the marinade. Incredible recipe!!
Woww

Bharathy said...

Chinmayie, do you really get gravy from an onion and tomato chopped and cooked? I want to try this! badly!

Loonygoon said...

Hi there.

I have been craving a beef curry for a while now and must say I enjoyed making this immensely.
I had no fresh tomatoes so I used tinned.
I had no fenugreek so I used hot Madras powder instead.
I do not possess a pressure cooker so I did it on the hob and transferrred it to a slow cokker for a few hours.

It was absolutely gorgeous. Cant wait to make it again.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers pal