Monday 15 March 2010

Celebrating Spring with Bubbly Cocktails

Weekend was brilliant with the weather being so generous to us...loads of sun and not windy at all..which meant it was definitely time for the outdoors. Central London was bustling with people and i declared out loud that Summer was definitely around the corner and the tourist season was catching up. We tried out this brilliant Malaysian fine dining restaurant called Awana in the posh area of South Kensington and it was one of the best ever..shall review it later.
But for now....here are a few cocktails i tried, to celebrate spring. Had them with a biryani lunch on Sunday and it was perfect. I'm really enjoying the bar tending bit..even if its at home and I'm so kicked that i finally learned how to open a bottle of bubbly on my own..without running to the next room when Ro tries to do so.

Manning Mimosa (makes 1 cocktail)
This is a bubbly cocktail made with Prosecco- an Italian sparkling wine- and is good for all occasions, but best for brunch.

Orange juice- 6 tbsp (freshly squeezed is way better)
Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
Orange liqueur like Cointreau or Grand Mariner- 2 tbsp
Chilled Prosecco- to top
Fresh mint leaf- for garnish
Mix together the orange juice, lemon juice, liqueur in a Champagne flute. Top with Prosecco, garnish with mint leaf and serve immediately.

Strawberry Smash (makes 1 cocktail)
This is more like a Mojito, but with a bubbly. You can basically put in any herb of your choice and adjust the amounts as per your taste.

Fresh strawberries hulled and sliced- 3
Fresh herb- 6 leaves ( I used mint leaves)
Gin or white rum- 1 oz ( I used Gordon's Gin)
Lime Cordial- 1 oz
Prosecco- 2 oz
Lightly muddle the strawberry and mint leaves in a 'rocks glass' until the strawberries become pulp-like and the herby smell of the mint leaves are strong. Add the gin and lime sour and give it a stir. Fill about 3/4th with ice and top with Prosecco.
Notes: Lime cordial can be substituted with a Lime sour or even lime juice for that matter.
I avoided ice cubes in my drink
You can use cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme etc., but don't overdo, as it can be a bit over powering.
If you want a mocktail, use sparkling water instead of Prosecco.

I would also like to raise a glass to Meeta of What's For Lunch Honey? for completing 4 awesome years of blogging. I am sending these Bubbly Prosecco cocktails to the Monthly Mingle event hosted by her where the theme is to prepare anything with Champagne, Processo or sparkling wine. These cocktails are an awesome way to celebrate. Kudos to you Meeta.

8 comments:

Vineetha Sush said...

Yes the weekend was perfect..Hopefully plenty of sunshine is waiting next week too.We too enjoyed our day out in central london :)

Cool Lassi(e) said...

While your weekend was perfect with sunny skies mine was horrible with wind, rain and bone-chilling cold. BTW, The cocktails are looking good.I too need to make something for this month's MM.

PS: I have made a dish for the guest post over the weekend. Will send it over soon.

Sarah Naveen said...

oh my weekend was horrible too with wind and rain.the storm almost got me flying in a parking lot :(..
Cocktails look gorgeous and refreshing :) i m waiting for perfect spring to hit and start making cocktails ;)

My Kitchen Antics said...

guys..i think i spoke too soon..the coming week is supposed 2 be wet and windy:(

Hayley said...

Superb cocktails and pics are great!! ya I think you spoke too soon dear...

Meeta K. Wolff said...

i humbly accept these lovely cocktails - perfect as i love champagen based drinks. thank you for joining me at my party!

Reflections said...

Both look gorgeous....I can just feel them sliding smoothly down my throat;-D

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Dear,
You got mail.